You are here: Home > Tijuana information > Visit Mexico Visa

Visit Mexico Visa

Daniel asks…

I have my U.S. passport, but to visit Mexico, do I need a visa?

Im a U.S. citizen, and Im 18

Tijuana answers:

The answer is a little complicated since you don’t say where in Mexico you are going. In no case do you need to apply for a visa prior to entering Mexico. If you travel by air, you will be given what they call a “Tourist Card” (an FMT) when you go through the immigration check at the airport.

If you cross the border on foot or by car into Mexico, it’s a bit different. Technically, if you will be in Mexico for more than 72 hours or are going further into Mexico than what that particular state calls its “Tourist Zone”, then you should stop at the immigration office when you cross the border and get the FMT. There’s a small charge for it (around $20, I believe), and it’s valid for 6 months.

The tricky part is where the “Tourist Zone” ends because it’s different in different Mexican states. Baja California’s tourist zone goes down pretty far, a good 100 miles or so, I believe. I’m not sure how far it goes in Sonora or Chihuahua.

Also, many people don’t get FMTs even if they’re staying more than 72 hours because the chance of getting asked for it are pretty slim. However, if you get caught without one, you’ll end up having to pay more than the original fee.

Betty asks…

I have a B2 tourist visa for USA and I wana visit Mexico while in San Diego..?

Will I have problems going back to USA?

Tijuana answers:

You might need a visa to visit Mexico, depending on your nationality.

You will probably have no problems going back to the US. If you are flying, you will have to turn in your i-94 form at the airport and fill out a new one when you fly back to the US. If you are driving to Mexico, and returning by car to the US, you do not have to hand in your i-94 form at the border if you are returning to the US before your i-94 form expires.

By the way, i-94 is the white or green (i-94w) form that you filled out when you arrived in the US. They usually staple it to your passport.

Mexico Visa Info
If you are a citizen of Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United States of America, Uruguay or Venezuela, you don’t need a visa to enter Mexico, although you must present a valid passport and fill out an immigration form for tourists and business trips, which can be obtained in travel agencies, airlines or at the point where you enter Mexico.

The immigration officer at your point of entry into Mexico can also request that you demonstrate that you have sufficient funds and a return ticket to your country.

If you are a citizen of any other country, you need to go to a Mexican consulate to request a visa. If you have a family member, friend or acquaintance in Mexico, he or she can do this at the INM.

Consult the requirements or go to any of the INM delegations throughout Mexico for detailed information about requesting a visa.

Jenny asks…

Visiting Mexico?

Does my passport need to be valid for 6 months before i visit Mexico? Because i just recently got mine. Also do i need a visa to visit Mexico? Can someone help?

Tijuana answers:

Technically the FMT is a visa…it is commonly called a tourist card and you get it at the border or on the plane…you do not have to apply for it or go to the embassy for an interview…that is why it is VERY different than what is usually called a “visa.” If a Mexican citizen wants to visit the U.S., he must have a visa …THIS is a VISA!!! Takes a lot of time, money, and paperwork to apply for one and most applications are denied. The little tourist card you get to enter Mexico is very different. The language can be confusing…but the process of getting an FMT to enter Mexico is drastically different from applying for a “visa” to enter the U.S. Or many other countries. There are other types of true visas which people who plan to stay in Mexico longer or conduct business in Mexico must apply for. These types of visas do involve applications, larger fees, and embassy interviews at times.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

Comments are closed.