You are here: Home > Tijuana information > Visit Mexico With Us Visa

Visit Mexico With Us Visa

Carol asks…

How can I show my family ties when applying for US visa?

I’m from Mexico and I will have my interview tomorrow. I’m traveling around the world so I’m in Australia right now. Then will visit Canada and US before I go back home. I don’t have a job in Mexico because I’ve been traveling for almost a year now. It says I can show compelling family ties. How do I do this?

Tijuana answers:

Couple of observations that seem obvious to me and won’t escape the visa officer’s attention either-

Your English writing is better than most Americans. You even make the correct ellipses. Waiting until the day to ask for advice before your visa interview is also a bit telling.

I’ll guess that you’re no longer a legal child, less than 18. Thus you’ll need to prove your own other ties to Mexico, more along the lines of “economic.”

Traveling around the world? Who’s paying for your travel? If it’s your parents, that’s not bad. If your expenses are your own, how have you made enough money to do this lengthy travel? (A year’s expenses plus a year of traveling isn’t cheap.) A cynical visa officer might infer that you’ve been unemployed for a year. Have you been working in Australia? If so, have you obtained employment in conformance with Australian Immigration law?

Intent is hardly a motive to issue a visa. Sure, you want to visit Canada and swing by the USA before you return to Mexico, but you’ve got to see that what you *intend* to do is less compelling than what you’ve already done.

“Ties” might include demonstrable proof of your income- Your parents? Your own? Remember, you’re in Australia, where the visa officer will certainly be familiar with Australia and the various documents to prove ties to Australia, but may not understand Mexican circumstances. A letter from your (or your parents’) bank stating what a wonderful financial life you have will be extremely difficult for anyone in Australia to verify. If your finances stem from Mexico, how would someone in Australia know what constitutes “compelling” ties to Mexico?

Best bet? Go to the interview, see if any visa officer has ever had a tour in Mexico. (Mexico’s a big country, and lots of people have been visa officers there.) If not, do your best to convince the issuing officer that your story is correct. But anticipate questions like those I posed above- how have you been supporting yourself for a year? What’s your history of your *own* ties to Mexico, not necessarily your parents’ ties?

On your side, I suspect you’re educated and have therefor previously visited the USA: that’ll be a good thing, but not an overwhelming reason to issue you another visa. If you have a BCC, that may work like a visa for you. Don’t be bashful but don’t fabricate anything because the visa officer has an excellent “fabrication detector.” (Yahoo won’t let me use the barnyard colloquialism here.)

Lastly, one slightly negative observation- If you started traveling around the world a year ago, why did you not obtain all your visas before you left? You stand a much better chance of success in obtaining a visa if you apply in the country where you live.

Conversely, do I think anyone would travel to Australia soley to obtain a visa under fraudulent circumstances? Nope. But you’re not helping your cause by applying in Australia.

Good luck! You may get your visa even if I have a few reservations.

Lisa asks…

When do you need a visa to enter a foreign country?

I know that I needed a visa to enter China for a three week trip, but when planning a trip to visit a friend in mexico who lives in a town on the border I was informed that all I would need was my passport to pass to and from the US and Mexico for my stay at a hotel and her home on either side.
So I would like to know when you need a visa and when you don’t it would make planning future trips so much easier.

Tijuana answers:

Visa requirements always depend on the specific country you are traveling to and its relationship with you country of citizenship. Assuming you are an American citizen this government website provides entry/exit requirements including visa requirements for a long list of countries. Http://

Charles asks…

What is required for someone from Mexico to visit the United States?

What would be required for someone living in Mexico to visit the United States for vacation? Would it be similar to what a US citizen would go through like just getting a passport and that’s it or would there be more to it?

Tijuana answers:

They would need a passport and a visa same as every tourist

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

Comments are closed.